Culinary Job Descriptions: Line Cooks, Prep Cooks, Kitchen Porter/Dishwashers
Good food is our heritage…Siebkens Resort is looking for Line Cooks, Prep Cooks, and Kitchen Porters/Dishwashers to join our team. We are looking for people with excellent communication skills, a positive attitude, and an eye for detail.
Expectations, Duties, and Responsibilities for all positions:
• Treat all co-workers, staff, vendors, and guests with courtesy and respect. In other words, treat others as you would wish to be treated
• Work under the direction of our Executive Chef to complete tasks in a timely and competent fashion to ensure ample readiness for food service – Always be prepared
• Ensure assigned work areas are tidy, clean, and safe
• Protect equipment and make sure there are no inadequacies
• Maintain a clean and orderly kitchen by washing dishes, sanitizing surfaces, taking out trash, etc.
• Comply with nutrition and sanitation guidelines
• Always maintain a professional appearance
• Work well both independently and in a team setting
• Possess manual dexterity to operate cutting tools and kitchen utensils
• Be able to stand for extended periods of time and lift 40 pounds
-Positions are Seasonal (May 1st through October 31st)
Line Cook: You will prepare meals under the direction of our Executive Chef and other kitchen leaders. Food you prepare will delight our guests with its delicious taste and timely delivery.
An excellent cook must be able to follow instructions in meal preparation and delivering. You must be deft in moving around the kitchen and apt at multi-tasking. Your attention to detail and commitment to the following specific tasks will preserve and enhance our reputation and in doing so provide personal satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment.
• Set up workstations with all needed ingredients and cooking equipment
• Prepare ingredients for service (chopping and peeling vegetables, cutting meat etc.)
• Cook food using a variety and techniques and equipment
• Ensure great presentation by dressing dishes before they are served
• Maintain a sanitary and orderly work environment at all times
• Ensure all food and other items are properly stored
• Verify ingredient quality prior to preparation and service
• Monitor stock and inform kitchen leaders when there are shortages
• Experience working in a commercial kitchen and knowledge of various cooking procedures and methods (grilling, baking, boiling etc.)
• Diploma from a culinary school will be an advantage but not a requirement
Pay ranges from $14-$18 an hour with hours ranging from 32-50 per week
Prep Cook: You will assist in the preparation of delicious food in our kitchen. You will perform various kitchen tasks such as setting up workstations, preparing ingredients, and assisting line cooks under the direction of our Executive Chef and other kitchen leaders.
A great prep cook will be quick to complete tasks, diligent, and always working to improve. You will be able to follow instructions while complying with the highest health and safety standards. To succeed, you must be able to function in a fast-paced, busy environment as a part of a team while performing the following tasks.
• Diligently follow prep lists created by kitchen leadership
• Measure ingredients according to well-defined recipes
• Prepare ingredients by washing and chopping vegetables, cutting meat, etc.
• Undertake basic cooking duties such as reducing sauces, parboiling food, etc.
• Label, date, and stock ingredients according to kitchen standards
• Ensure all food and other kitchen items are properly stored
• Perform additional kitchen duties as assigned by kitchen leadership
• Experience as prep cook is preferred but not a prerequisite
• Ability to stay positive under pressure
• Training from a culinary school will be an asset
Pay ranges from $12-$16 an hour with hours ranging from 32-50 per week
Kitchen Porter & Dishwasher: You will support our culinary team in maintaining a clean, sanitary, and orderly kitchen.
This is an entry-level position. Nevertheless, your work is vital to our success. Excelling in this position will create opportunities to participate in food preparation and other kitchen task.
• Help ensure kitchen cleanliness by cleaning and sanitizing kitchen items and utensils, washing pots and pans, clearing kitchen worktables, sanitizing food preparation areas, and assisting other kitchen staff to maintain the highest standards of food safety and cleanliness
• Clean and sanitize kitchen items and utensils
• Help Culinary Team check in and put away delivered goods and produce
• Perform basic cooking tasks as requested by and under the supervision of chefs or cooks
• Positive attitude and willingness to learn
Pay ranges from $10-$16 an hour with hours ranging from 32-50 per week
At Siebkens Resort, we believe happy employees lead to happy guests, vendors, and community. We strive to build a positive work culture where collaboration and open-mindedness drive our team approach to providing warm and thoughtful hospitality. Our resort and our people are unique; we value input from all our employees and benefit from their individual life experiences. We celebrate our reputation as a lively and authentic experience of space in Elkhart Lake and want our employees to take part in this experience. Whether they work at Siebkens for a summer or many years, we hope our employees’ time with us will be fulfilling and a source of fond memories they can take with them wherever life leads.